Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A little apartheid education for all of you...

Well, after a wonderful long weekend in the 'Boro where I got to see my family, I am back in town to do some work and hang out with lots of friends. Funny story, Murfreesboro was actually voted one of the top 100 places to live in the US...funny because I never felt that way about it. I might even list it as bottom 100...

Anyway, I thought that I'd use this site to do a little educating for those of you who are always asking me questions about apartheid and South Africa. You know I'm always an educator at heart. As my dad says, "use it or lose it at your own discretion." All of this information is from Nelson's biography A Long Walk to Freedom, so if you have questions, maybe I could answer them after I finish reading it (currently on page 140 of 751).

Apartheid Landmarks

1946 marks the Ghandian Indian protests which would inspire the ANC and Nelson Mandela

Prohibition of Mixed Marriages Act(1949) makes marriage between white and non-white illegal.

Immorality Act (1949) makes sexual relations between white and non-white illegal (one like this recently on the books in Alabama, folks)

Population and Registration Act (1949) labels South Africans by race (Whites, Indians, Coloureds, Blacks)

Group Areas Act (1949), considered the hallmark of apartheid, requires separate urban areas for each racial group, allowing whites to legally usurp land from blacks.


Finally, I'll leave you with possibly my favorite quote on leadership ever. "A leader is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go on ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind."--Nelson Mandela's surrogate father, the regent of Thembuland

More soon...

No comments: