Saturday, July 08, 2006

Happy Independence Day

Walt Whitman
I Hear America Singing

I hear America singing, the varied carols I hear;
Those of mechanics--each one singing his, as it should be, blithe and strong;
The carpenter singing his, as he measures his plank or beam,
The mason singing his, as he makes ready for work, or leaves off work;
The boatman singing what belongs to him in his boat--the deckhand singing on the steamboat deck;
The shoemaker singing as he sits on his bench--the hatter singing as he stands;
The wood-cutter's song--the ploughboy's, on his way in the morning,
or at the noon intermission, or at sundown;
The delicious singing of the mother--or of the young wife at work--or of the girl sewing or washing--Each singing what belongs to her, and to none else;
The day what belongs to the day--At night, the party of young fellows, robust, friendly,
Singing, with open mouths, their strong melodious songs.



That poem, along with several American-composed musical selections which I very much enjoyed and have listed at the bottom of this post, was part of the WBHM (Birmingham NPR station) July 4th celebration. I got the chance to listen to it as I drove to Tupelo to visit a friend there. I was greeted by her wonderful family and was treated to a family-style 4th, complete with fireworks and wine. What a treat!! I can't remember another more wonderful 4th. Every year, though I am cynical and jaded, I find that I am in awe of the courage and vision of the founding of our country. I am thankful to live in a place where I can disagree with my president while still enjoying the freedoms that I hold dear. So, we even joked a little about said president on the 4th. ;) All this lively 4th spirit ended quickly today, however, when I was forced to listent to a terrible patriotic/religious choir presentation right outside the doors of Banana Republic. Some people never learn.

Yesterday, I journeyed to Six Flags to complete the "Retro Tour," riding every coaster there from most recently built to least recently built. In hindsight, we suggest the "Heritage Tour" which would require riding each coaster in the opposite order. The thing is, when you ride from youngest to oldest, your sense of security diminishes along with the safety features of senior coasters. Regardless, a good time was had by all. Every now and then it's just nice to be a kid.

I am quickly tiring of living out of my car and in a suitcase, and will be glad to be back in one place on Sunday. Whew. Work still suffices to hold my interest and grant a paycheck, and odd jobs seem to come out of the woodwork. And, I even managed to email the South African embassy about a student visa. All in all, a crazy week well spent.



Music from WBHM's 4th celebration:
Gershwin's I Got Rhythm listen
Moross' Symphony No. 1 listen
Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man listen
MacDowell's Woodland Sketches listen

No comments: