Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Baby, it's Cold Outside

This post is for the Didas and Lauras of the world who check the blog daily, only to find out that I have been a slacker and haven't yet posted. So, here you are! Today's topic: if hell froze over, it would feel like Jo'burg in the winter!

That's right ladies and gentlemen, it's COLD here!!! If you didn't think it was supposed to ever get cold here, you are not very good with your knowledge of South African climates! We are at the same lattitude here in Jo'burg as those of you right above the Tropic of Cancer (so Florida way). So, we have some seriously cold weather for a couple of months. Yesterday, our high was 9 degrees Celsius. For those of you like me who haven't quite figured out the metric system, that's about 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Now, I know what you're thinking (especially the folks up north)--big deal. But you see, my friends, you have central heating. The only heaters we have are the kind preceeded by the word "space." Now you can imagine how this works. But just in case you're not getting the idea, let me review my yesterday for you:

1. Get out of bed--I'm cold even with the space heater burning all night long.
2. Get up and put on long underwear. Now I'm beginning to feel warmer.
3. Walk outside to run errands--now I'm freezing. The wind is blowing sharply and my little Marmot jacket and grey scarf are doing me no favors, though I'm glad I have them.
4. Go back inside. I'm getting warm now. The heater in my room isn't half bad as long as it goes all the time.
5. Trek to class. On the bus, I get so hot because I have on two pairs of pants, three shirts, a jacket, a scarf, and mittens. Then I get off and suddenly I'm freezing again!
6. Get to class, and it's freezing. I can't decide whether it's better to have cold hands and discernable handwriting or sacrifice my academics for warm hands with mittens. Decisions, decisions.
7. Return home in the dark. If I wasn't cold before, I really am now!
8. Go to choir practice and rehearse in full Arctic attire
9. Return home and try to fall asleep while keeping my toes warm.

So, folks, I do feel your pain with the winter. You thought I had missed it and gone to a land of eternal summer, but you were very wrong. So the next time someone tells you "that'll happen when hell freezes over," remember that that wouldn't be such a good situation, either!

Postscript: My mom and sister arrive in 3 days!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will never be nor have ever been a slacker!!! I just like hearing your thoughts to update myself about life from down under. I'll send you some really thick socks. Give you mom and sister hugs and kisses from me when they arrive.
Love,
Andrea

lenwa said...

i suggest...buying a heating pad.

like, a plug in the wall kind.

b/c i'm not kidding you...when i was freezing my rear off and the space heater was just not cutting it...the heating pad was glorious!

ALSO...when i traveled with my parents, they had these heating bed pad things...those were magnificant! you should investigate it...

it's probably worth the purchase.

Anonymous said...

translation: wah wah wah...I'm in Africa...wah wah wah...blah blah blah. Love you! See you day after tomorrow :) -Katie

Anonymous said...

You know, I didn't think of it getting THAT cold in South Africa... my goodness. I guess it's maybe in part due to location/elevation?

I'm roasting back in the 'Ham, just thought you'd like to know. I might even be getting a nice tan...

Hope all goes well with the family visit! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Katy G. said...

I am SERIOUSLY glad I was in B'ham last week, with the mid-80s temps! However, smoke from the Georgia forest fires made the air look like Johannesburg in winter... ;)