Friday, February 02, 2007

Under African Skies--for real this time!

I know, I know, I promised to post earlier and I didn't. But excuuuse me, I have been a little busy! I mean, seriously people!

I arrived last Sunday at around 7:30, but by the time I got out of customs and baggage claim and baggage check, it was more like 9. At the airport to greet me were my sponsors Pres. of Rotary Blackheath Lynne and Past President Peter, past Rotary scholar Kelly, new Rotarian Tamlynn, and Past President Pat. So, I had quite the reception. We loaded my huge bags into Peter's Land Rover, and off we went. Of course, only after watching a lorrie (medium sized cargo truck--think Ryder or UHaul) unable to get out and someone literally ripping a sign out of the concrete to allow it passage. This is Africa, they said.

Lynne and Peter have a wonderful home and have been incredibly welcoming to me, even with their kitchen under complete renovation, poor things! Needless to say, I've seen lots of Jo'burg restaurants. Lynne is the current pres. of Rotary Blackheath and she works as bursar (accountant/treasurer) at McCauley Catholic School. Peter is a past pres. and now works on events for Blackheath and is an entomologist. Don't get any warm fuzzy ideas here, kids, he kills bugs. All of you who like to smoke or enjoy unspoiled artwork or live in non-infested houses can thank Peter, as much of his work is done in the States. They have 6 dogs and many dog show awards. 3 are bearded Colleys, 2 are Pulis (the rastafarian dogs), and 1 is a sheep dog of which I can't remember the name right now. Sad. She's really beautiful though, as they all are.

This week has been a lot of adjustment for me. Never again in my life do I want to hear someone from BSC tell me how difficult registration is! Imagine with me for a minute if you had to do that for 4 DAYS!!! I have queued (stood in line) for hours, and ridden the bus back and forth and back and forth from campus to campus, only to find that the last office told me the wrong place to go. I have changed degrees, changed housing, and changed direction! But all is well, and we are ready for classes to start, which they will do on Sat. 10 Feb. with orientation for the BEd. Honours in Human Rights and Democracy students with an orientation. I will then have class daily from 3:30 t0 5:30.

My housing is settled, and I have an address to report, finally! It is:

Lisa Glenn
E22 West Campus Village
University of the Witswatersrand
Johannesburg, South Africa
2050

You may begin sending packages, as my birthday is Monday (that's right, Feb. 5)! 23 feels really old and not that exciting, but spending it in Africa makes it all the better. When you send your package/card/postcard/money/attractive male companions, imagine them arriving in an apartment-type building with outside entrances overlooking a large lake with a fountain. That's right, ladies and gentlemen, I can have tea at the lake every morning. It's glorious.

I imagine that now you're thinking that you could picture it a lot better if I had actually attached pictures. I realize this, and I am working on it. Blogger is slow even without being in Africa, so you can imagine what I'm dealing with now. So, I'm looking into something like snapfish. Suggestions?

Because this is already really long, I'll just give you a few South African English lessons to end:

boot=trunk
bakkie (if you've already read this, it was a misprint the first time**)=pickup truck
lorrie=UHaul sized truck
truck=very large truck
robot=traffic light (I think this is my favorite)
color=colour
inquiry=enquiry (I'm seeing lots of spelling errors in upcoming essays!)
residence=housing/dormitory
pleasure=you're welcome.

Miss you all and wish every one of you were here! Thank you for the emails and comments (do post your name if you make a comment, otherwise you really do look like a stalker...)! I will be better at writing back, I promise, once I get into a routine. Right now, things are just fast and furious. Love to you all.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Lisa G! I am enjoying reading your blog. I am so jealous that you have tea every morning by the lake. Do you eat that sweet roll thing that we had in Mozambique? Ah, good times. I look forward to reading your updates and living in Africa through you.
-Kelly D.

Mosshouse said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! We miss you! Love, Renie and all of your Student Affairs friends!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love Pulis!--and you, even though I'm a slow responder.

~Jenna