Friday, November 17, 2006

La Vie Boheme

Well, as in any bohemian life, traveling hither and yon, there are bound to be ups and downs, and now it's time for the ups! I have been ok'd by Wits on a provisional status which will allow for me to apply through SAQA and then my degree status will be determined by the school. I don't care about the degree, I just want to go. So, things are well! Now I just have to get written confirmation of that, and we'll be set to get visa, etc. Whew!

I visited my sponsoring Rotary club today, and they were absolutely delightful! We heard from the #2 Secret Service agent assigned to LBJ during the JFK assassination--definitely interesting! Mr. Nash, my sponsor here, was sweet, and I gave out business cards and had a good time. They're such a delightful group of folks. If you ever get asked to join the Birmingham-East Rotary, do so!

Finally, I wanted to publicly support a really good cause that the United Methodist Church and several other organizations have entered into. It's called the Nothing but Nets Campaign and I will add it to my list of favorite sites. The organization raises money to buy mosquito nets for families in Africa. In case you were unaware, malaria, NOT AIDS, is the number 1 killer in most of Africa (someone dies every 30 seconds) and it is TOTALLY PREVENTABLE and TOTALLY TREATABLE. That's right, if you or I caught malaria, we would be sick with flu-like symptoms, but in the end, we would be just fine. Amazing. So, please do check out the site. A donation of $10 will provide a net for 4 people. And you say there's nothing you can do...

So, if you call me in the next few days, expect excited Lisa! Seriously, I'm totally keyed-up. Finally!

No comments: