Saturday, August 12, 2006

The Application Process

Since the wireless is finally up and running in my apartment, I can now update you on what has been going on with my Rotary planning, though there is not a lot to tell. I have received an application to the Postgraduate School of Humanities in which I intend to pursue a Master's in Education, Democratic Citizenship, and Human Rights. This program will deal with racial inclusion in the classroom as well as socializing children in a democratic society using the classroom. In other words, as my friend Kate says, my name is "in the fine print of that degree." It's actually exactly what I would have planned for myself had I just been taking random courses at Wits. You can check out more information on the degree itself at this address http://www.wits.ac.za/education/medcourses.html (click on the Education, Democratic Citizenship, and Human Rights link). Now, I just have to apply and be accepted to the program.

Many of you have asked what this degree would present me with professionally. Almost any degree that I would receive at Wits in my field (education policy) would be invalid in the United States; however, it will be of great use to me to have taken courses at Wits when applying for graduate school in policy. While I will leave Wits with a Masters, it is the experience and not the degree that will be of use to me in the long run.

So, the last week has been filled with stressing about how to get the application, how many copies I should send through unreliable international mail, and when it should be sent. That is, until Ryan told me that his aunt was coming to visit at the end of August and would be willing to hand-deliver my application to Ryan who would then hand-deliver it to the Faculty of Humanities. This kid is a godsend. Thank goodness for good Rotary contacts! This development has left me with a much lower degree of stress while I'm preparing the application.

Now, I am beginning to find gifts from Birmingham to give at Rotary speeches as well as flags from the Birmingham East Rotary Club. The countdown is still about 6 months, but I am more and more excited as the days wear on. I am both excited and terrified, emotions which prove to be a great combination, actually.

For some interesting current information on South African study-abroad, please visit my friend Johnny's blog, which describes his current studies in Cape Town. Johnny is also a Birmingham-Southern student, though he has not yet graduated, and his recent pictures show Robben Island (where Mandela was imprisoned), the Cape of Good Hope, and Cape Town itself. It's a great site, and I have added it to links on the right side of this page.

More updates to come and Nelson's wisdom to impart (once I get some more reading done!). Peace to you all!

No comments: