Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Kruger, round 2

After leaving Maputo, we drove for about an hour to the border of Mozambique and South Africa. When we got to said border crossing, you would have thought that we had reached the promised land from the line we encountered. After a line of an hour and a half, we drove over to the SA border patrol which we slipped through within 15 minutes. Don't ever let me say that SA is inefficient ever again!! EVER!!

We then drove for hours until we reached Kruger National Park, my promised land for real. I won't bore you with more Kruger wildlife trekking stories, but suffice to say that we saw lots of birds, no big cats, tons of elephants (literally), and a black-backed jackal which is a new find for me (pictures of all will be posted when my computer loves me again). Also, we slept in a rondavel (one of the round African mud huts you see in the movies) and made a braai which we then danced around singing "Rehab" to the bemusement of our neighbor children. We met our new friends Tilda the male elephant, Long John, and several others, and Niv almost froze to death on our morning drive. We really did have a great time. Like I say, Kruger is a magical place.

We all returned to Jo'burg tired but still friends (pretty good for such close quarters for so long!). Then the Cape Town gang left the following morning and I got back to research (aka my life).

So now I'm here, enjoying a new semester and a new routine. School is well, classes are interesting, and I'm not totally stressed or lost yet. More to come on that shortly! My love to you all!

No comments: