Friday, June 29, 2007

Cape Town and beyond--Installment 3








Just because I knew you'd want to see the less than 1/4 inch accumulation of snow in Jo'burg:



Wednesday was the first time that many of my friends had ever seen snow--and boy, were they cold! It hadn't snowed in Jo'burg since 1982, apparently! No, I wasn't born then. Yes, it seems like yesterday, even so. You old people are too predictable.

Now, to continue on with the holiday update!

After the market, we got into our cute little rental car and headed for the Cape of Good Hope by way of Boulders Beach. You may remember that the last time I went to Cape Town I went to these places. The drive to the Cape takes a little over an hour, so it's nice to break it up by getting out to see the penguins at Boulders Beach. Not that we would have missed that, of course. Unfortunately, it was a little cold and it's breeding season, so most of the penguins were in their little burrows. But it was really cute to see them there! Who knew penguins burrowed?! Anyway, here are some pictures:






I PROMISE I told her it was cold first. She just never believes a word I say. It's not my fault this time.


Penguin eggs!

Then it was off to the Cape of Good Hope. As we drove in, we saw some beautiful landscape:


And we saw where the wildfire that I saw last time I was there had destroyed a good portion of the park. Sad.

Looks like a moonscape, hey? Once we arrived at Cape Point, we went to lunch at the Two Oceans restaurant at the Cape of Good Hope (where the two oceans meet). We met these pesky little birds who wanted to steal Katie's food: They're pretty, all the same. Red-winged Starlings for those of you who care. After defending her food, Katie decided she wanted to fit in--look! A monkey!I should know better by now than to think that she won't take my dares. And then we began our ascent.





This plaque points to all the nearest cities. I like this place--the nearest cities are nowhere to be found!
Katie, just four words...I told you so. After we enjoyed Cape Point to its full extent, we traveled back down the mountain to the actual Cape of Good Hope.
Yes, the BSC shirts were on purpose. I wasn't an admissions personnel for nothing...The protea, SA's national flower.

This is a great picture of the fynbos plants, a type of plant which grows only in SA. On our way back, we took the famous Chapman's Peak Drive which is much like California Highway 1, along the water. It was sunset as we drove, and oh, what a view!Pictures at Chapman's Peak:



Apparently they allow spear fishing. It seemed odd that the fish would be smiling about this...A good day had by all.

The next morning, we headed to the Cape Town Aquarium which is quite impressive. It only rained that one day--and we were inside! What luck. We then flew back to Jo'burg to leave for Kruger National Park in the morning.

Ok, folks, this has taken me almost an hour to complete due to all of the pictures. So, you'll get the Kruger update later. Hope you're well! I'm spending my weekend doing research and going to Rotary functions...story of my life! I did happen to check my mail today and I had four notes in my old mailbox--one from Grandmommy, one from Natalie, one from Carrie, and an extra special wedding invitation from Farley and Owen. Thanks to all of you for the thoughts! I love you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures of the Cape of Good Hope are outstanding! My favorite is the one showing the meeting of the oceans. How inspiring to think of all the people who have travled this world and to think of how treacherous these waters were from history! I'm so glad you are having this adventure.
Love,
Andrea

natalie.b.austin@gmail.com said...

Pues, miento. This one ties with the next post for my favorites. The animals cannot beat the landscape and vice versa.